STARDUST OBSERVATORY

STARDUST OBSERVATORY

                                       

HOME
ABOUT ME
PICTURES              
EQUIPMENT&BRIEF REVIEWSUPDAT
OBSERVATORIESUPDAT
FAVORITE LINKS
LX200 STAR REFERENCE
FORUM
GUEST BOOK
E MAIL

 

 

 

 
   Updated Last 
Tuesday, May 21, 2002  

        

 

                                         so3.jpg (97077 bytes)                                         

For the pier I bought a 6" in diameter 10' long PVC pipe. To attach the GT1 to it I used a coupler from 6" down to 4" with another adapter that has 8 holes in the top. I mounted a piece of round wood to that and drilled a hole into the middle so the Yang would sit flush onto the wood. And I would be able to bolt it from underneath.

                         so4.jpg (90266 bytes)

I cut out a 4" x 5" hole in the PVC pipe so that I could access the mount from underneath to tighten the bolt. I also cut it big enough to set the  SkySensor hand controller in it.

                                        pir1.jpg (140814 bytes)

The PVC pipe is 3.5 feet into the ground. I then got a 12" form and put this over the PVC pipe and filled it with cement 5' above the ground.  This made it very sturdy.

                                        de.jpg (101428 bytes)

Deck is finished - added 5 feet. The view is looking NE

                                       Mvc-850f.jpg (104370 bytes)

Framing is started here. I added another 2x4 in between each of these 2x4's.  Sorry didn't get a pic of the finished framing.

 

                                        Mvc-002s.jpg (102142 bytes)

Added the 1/4" plywood as my outer siding and trimmed. Finished with clear varnish. Mounted permanently onto the deck. Insulated the inside with 4.x8 sheets of extruded insulation.

                                        sdome.jpg (80839 bytes)

Built the dome base ring 4 1/4" wide which is an 13/4" wider than the building base ring which will give us the overhang. The arcs are 30" apart.

                                          ndome.jpg (83336 bytes)

Arc's are finished.

                             dd.jpg (89471 bytes)dd1.jpg (90970 bytes)

For the outside skin we used 1/4"  plywood. Trimmed it with mahogany trim and silicone all the gaps. Used small door tracks to slide the door open. 

                             dom1.jpg (90836 bytes)dom2.jpg (82883 bytes)

Cleared the dome for weather proofing. Put more than a hundred golf balls on the building base ring in the track. Made a track on the bottom of the dome ring so this set down over the golf balls that are in the base ring. This gives it a fluid turning motion. 

                              in1.jpg (80188 bytes)in2.jpg (77841 bytes)

Have my Yang mounted inside it's new home. Looks really great there!!!   

                                            9.jpg (98541 bytes)

Covered  the insulation with paneling. I then attached a 24 volt dc motor with forward and reverse to the inside of the dome. I put a sprocket onto the shaft of the motor and mounted a chain on the inside of the dome base ring which turns the dome in either direction.

                                            11.jpg (100604 bytes)

                                         November 20 2001

                                      Construction Complete!!!